Friday, September 23, 2011

Phavorite Phall Phare

Someday when this blog has amassed vast archives, I will curse myself for using that title because it is not descriptive of the recipe. I also might curse myself for using a title so cheesy, but in the spirit of the new home and the new season, I will publish it proudly.

(I'm just kidding...you know I don't curse.)

This meal kicks off the fall food season. No more beachy food. Lots of squash. Ubiquitous pumpkin spice latte references on twitter. I love this time of year.


I am reminded of this post that I wrote a lifetime ago from my porch in Lawrence. The spring weather I extolled did indeed turn into a scorching summer, and I feel the same urgency to spend a lot of time outside before the brutal winter comes again.


With that said, I have some bike trails to attend to. Let's move on to the merits of this dish so you can try it before the season is over. The combination is a bit different every time I make it, and of course you should feel free to be creative with it too. What it comes down to is my overall cooking philosophy: get as many of my favorite flavors into one bowl.


Plus, this meal makes me think of my dearest Lawrence friends, which is a lovely side effect.

Here are the steps: chop vegetables, chop squash, cook quinoa, combine. All this can be done while watching 'When Harry Met Sally' with your roommates. I tested it.


Please refer to this post for the quinoa tutorial and a summery version of this recipe. This time, I stirred curry and cinnamon into the quinoa...the curry is pretty subtle and the cinnamon gives the dish a very phall phlavor. (Okay, that's the last time.)

Now you could stop there and enjoy it just fine, but what really puts the dish over the top is the feta. If you like feta (does anyone not like feta?), the cheese adds a delightful salty contrast. Toss in some walnuts or pecans for more crunchy protein.

Yum.


Melanie had late class this night, so we saved her a helping. But the real reason for the next photo is to remind you to submit your own photography to the River to Well competition. 

The deadline is in one week.
Help restore wells in Mozambique.


Acorn Squash Quinoa with Roasted Vegetables
Serves 4

1 acorn squash, pitted and cut into bite-sized pieces
2 T. honey or maple syrup
1 T. olive oil
1 t. red pepper flakes
Dash of sea salt and black pepper

1/2 c. quinoa, rinsed thoroughly
1 c. water
1 T. curry
1/2 T. cinnamon
Dash of salt

Half an onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 carrot, halved and sliced
1 c. broccoli florets (fresh or frozen and thawed)
1 small zucchini, halved and sliced

If you are feeling sweet, try subbing these for some of the veg:
1 apple, chopped
1/2 c. craisins or raisins

Walnuts or pecans
Feta cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk together honey, olive oil, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper; toss with acorn squash pieces on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes or until fork tender, stirring once.

Place all chopped vegetables on a second baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and roast on the oven rack below the squash. These can be in the oven for 30-45 minutes; just make sure to stir occasionally.

Bring water to a boil and stir in the rinsed quinoa. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the quinoa has puffed up. Drain off any excess water, then stir in the curry, cinnamon and salt.

Remove the aromatic roasted vegetables and squash from the oven and combine everything (including quinoa) in a large bowl (or the baking pan). 

Top with chopped nuts and feta and serve with some grainy bread. OR wrap this mixture in a whole-wheat tortilla with baby spinach for a tasty quinoa burrito.





With love.

3 comments:

  1. This looks phantastic! (I couldn't help myself...) I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep.I can't wait to make this. It is that time of year...my FAVORITE! squash heaven. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I officially just translated this entire recipe into spanish for my teacher and host mom. Haha.

    :-)

    I am so pumped to try this in two and a half months!!!!!!!!! WITH YOU

    ReplyDelete