Friday, September 2, 2011

Salt and Vinegar Potato Salad

Having moved so many (10!) times in the last seven years, I put great importance on nesting. It's truly one of my favorite things about moving. The nostalgic part of me loves having familiar things in a new space; and the Type A part of me really enjoys fitting those familiar things in the new space. Otherwise I might still be living like this:




But this post is not about my bedroom. This is about the kitchen. My inaugural meal was a delicious team effort with Kelsey and Jim. I think I will like cooking here very much.




I purchased some Old Bay seasoning (because I'm costal now) and made some salt and vinegar potato salad, compliments of Joy the Baker, as usual.


Pickled onions! This was a good find.




Plus new potatoes and green beans. So simple and salty and wonderful.




Team work.




Meanwhile, Jim grilled some pork chops. I appreciated his ambition, knowing how high our standards are set. He gave them his own Philly twist though, with Old Bay. All sentimental bias aside, they were quite good. When in the Northeast...





The grilled bell peppers and corn on the cob turned out really tasty too. (It's probably best that I am behind the camera most often, if these are the photos I get in. Go Cal.)




But I am glad that Kels picked up photography duties where Mom left off. Familiar things in new places.




And I will say it again: I am especially thankful that I could move all the way out here and not have to give up family. Praise God for that comfort. Jim is great too. The kind of great that eats cookies before dinner.




Try this potato salad! It tastes even better the next day, especially if you're sitting on a beach towel in Ocean City, N.J. 


Salt and Vinegar Potato Salad


1 large red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 c. vinegar (I used mostly white and a bit of red wine)
1 t. salt
1/2 lb. fresh green beans, sliced into 1-inch bites
4 lbs. new potatoes, cleaned and quartered
1 T. Old Bay Seasoning
1/4 c. olive oil


In a medium bowl, combine sliced onions, 1/4 c. vinegar and salt. Toss to coat and let sit at room temperature for an hour, tossing occasionally.


Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Add salt and bring to a boil, then simmer until cooked through. Add the green beans in the last 4 minutes of cooking. Drain both and let cool.


Chop the potatoes into bite-sized pieces and combine with the pickled onions, another 1/4 c. vinegar, Old Bay and salt. Add olive oil and toss to coat. {I think there must be a better way to get these spices distributed evenly. I just dumped it all together but it did not distribute well enough for this perfectionist. Next time, I might mix the Old Bay and salt into the extra vinegar before coating the potatoes.}


It tasted great warm and greater eaten cold the next day. 


Some beachy food for my dear Midwest friends.


P.S. Before Blogger changed their interface, I knew how to tweak the html to remove the double spacing. Much to my chagrin, it won't let me do that anymore. Do any of you fellow Blogspots know how to do this? These spaces and this lack of control over them are driving me nuts.




With love.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't changed interfaces, so I'm not sure what you're looking at. But you could try holding shift while you press enter for a new paragraph. Sometimes that works for me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ash, I knew you would know! Thank you. I had forgotten that shift button trick.

    ReplyDelete