Saturday, September 10, 2011

sweet potato gnocchi + spinach pesto

We have had a string of gloomy days here in the Northeast. I have been whining about not being able to ride my bike, meanwhile the rain has been wreaking havoc on major parts of Philly and our state. I woke up with sun in my eyes yesterday to learn that the president declared a state of emergency for Pennsylvania. Counting my blessings, including that my worst problem is restlessness from being cooped up. One day, I had to read State of Wonder all afternoon.

Blessing two: Nicole's bus was able to make it here from New York. Kelsey worked with Nicole last summer, and I have gotten to know and love her too. She will live in Philly this year and hopefully come over to cook with us again. 


Which brings me to blessing number three (I could go on like this forever): sweet potato gnocchi and spinach pesto. That might count as two separate blessings. Or perhaps I should simply thank God for food and taste buds. Every day.


Sweet potato gnocchi is messy and time intensive, but very simple and very tasty. And when you're a food blogger cooking with company, you can pick up your camera and leave the dough hands to Nicole.

Ingredients: sweet potatoes (cooked and mashed), garlic (minced), cinnamon (sprinkled), salt (pinched), egg (beaten), flour (leveled). I used pumpkin pie spice last time I made this, which gave it a lovely and decidedly fall flavor. Either way, the sweetness is beautifully balanced by garlicky pesto. I didn't get photos of the ingredients because I was eating dark chocolate gelato (before dinner!) with a new friend named Jessica, and I arrived home just in time for the fun stuff.

Process: knead all ingredients into a silky, sticky dough, then roll it into sweet potato snakes on a floured surface. Cut into one-inch pieces and press a fork over each one to make them fancy and more capable of holding sauce.


Toss these bits into boiling water in small batches...roughly the amount that fit on a dinner plate. When they float to the top, cook for a minute or two more and remove to a flat surface with a slotted spoon. 


Once they have cooled enough, feel free to pop one in your mouth. That is the joy of cooking.


This is a good time to show you the bigger, behind-the-scenes picture. We had a mysterious electrical malfunction and the all-important outlets that give power to the fridge and oven went out. When the breaker box didn't help, we had to be resourceful. The food will not spoil and the dinner party will go on.


The pesto requires about one minute of work, so whip that up whenever you're comfortable doing so. You could even make it a day or two ahead. I love everything about this sauce: spinach, basil, garlic, parmesan. I have used it on pizza too. Oh, yes.


There was some discussion that we should have made a salad, but we decided that there were enough nutrients in the meal. Especially since Kelsey and Nicole had picked up a bottle of merlot at the wine and spirits shop around the corner. 


For good measure, we also had fruit for dessert...


Covered in chocolate and some decadent sugary oatmeal that Nicole maliciously introduced to our palates.


It was a massacre. And I'd argue that is the best way to have dessert. Even if it's your second dessert in three hours (whoops).


Blessing number five(?): the sun is out and I can pick up the wandering bike rides where I left off.

Sweet Potato Gnocchi

2 sweet potatoes
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 egg
2 c. flour

Cook the sweet potatoes either in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes or in the microwave for 8 minutes (be sure to poke them with a fork prior to cooking). Remove skins and mash them, then add all ingredients but the flour and mix well. Add flour a bit at a time to form the dough.

On a floured surface, roll into several ropes, then cut into one-inch pieces. Drop into boiling water; when they begin to float, cook for a minute more, then remove to a flat surface with a slotted spoon.

To serve, top with parmesan cheese and/or some delicious sauce, such as...

Spinach Pesto

4 c. fresh spinach leaves, stems removed
2 garlic cloves, halved
3 T. pine nuts or walnuts (optional)
1/2 t. dried basil
1/4 c. olive oil
1/3 c. grated parmesan
1/8 t. salt

Place one cup spinach with the next four ingredients into the food processor and process until smooth. Add the rest of the spinach and the olive oil gradually. At the end, ad the cheese and salt and process until combined.

Serve this on gnocchi, pasta, pizza, sandwiches, etc.



With love.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Your gnocci looks delicious! And what a beautiful color from the sweet potatoes!!! I will have to give yours a try. My "Roman" style gnocci were giants. So neat we were thinking the same thing... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word. You had me hooked with the title of the post. I will definitely have to try this sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THIS ALL!

    It makes me miss a kitchen in America. No. Actually it just really makes me miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I WANT TO MAKE YOUR SWEET POTATO GNOCCHI RIGHT NOW! one of my favorite dishes you make :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meeehhh... (me whining that you don't live two doors over anymore) I would be in your kitchen, stealing your gnocchi(s?)

    ReplyDelete