Wednesday, August 24, 2011

quinoa + roasted veg + balsamic vinaigrette

The real countdown has begun. I have less than 22 hours in Hutch. Less than 25 hours in Kansas. My destination, the place I will soon call home, has experienced an earthquake and a hurricane this week. Meanwhile, I have been whiling away the hours in this comfortable house, whining about the heat. I'm thankful to have so many hours in the car (22!) to read up on natural disaster safety.

But really, as much as I love being home, I am ready and excited to start this new adventure. I'll just need to find a job that allows me plenty of free time in the afternoon to cook. This routine has myriad benefits: I can listen to Talk of the Nation, which started a rousing family discussion about birth order tendencies; I have a great excuse not to pack; and I can show love to my parents, who will spend 44+ hours in the car this weekend to move me across the country.


This time, the love was expressed in quinoa and homemade balsamic vinaigrette...two of my (many) favorite things. Quinoa is a plant-based protein, a power food and a lovely substitute for rice. It is quite versatile, but this is my preferred summertime use: 


Roast a bunch of vegetables (summer squash, red bell pepper, onion), add some fresh ones (spinach and tomatoes), toss with quinoa, dressing and, of course, feta, and serve it cold. The beauty of this dish is that each component can be used on its own or in any number of combinations. This is the recipe post that keeps on giving.

There are a couple things you must know when cooking with quinoa. This grain has a natural insect repellent called saponin that could make your dish bitter. Some brands come pre-rinsed, but if you buy from the bulk section, like I do, make sure to rinse it or you will never want to eat it again. You can rinse it in a fine-mesh strainer or just shake it up in a jar, replacing the water until it isn't so cloudy.


To cook, boil two-parts salted water, stir in quinoa, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes and drain off any water that is left. The result is fluffy grains with little stems (that is not the technical term). 


At this point, you could add anything! You could even eat it for breakfast, if you're feeling really granola. If you decide to use it as a side dish for grilled salmon (yum), try adding some of this: 


Then mix up a little homemade dressing (this dressing thing is a piece of cake!). I also really like taking these bottle photos.


I have made this dressing a few times and love it. I bet you have all of these ingredients in your pantry too! 

{Just as I was adding things to the blender, my dear friend Mitch Voth stopped by and I took a break to hear about his year in Spain. The dressing still tasted pretty delicious.}

When my mom got home, she took some more still shots for my Food Network show.


Mom and Dad would be guests on the show, for sure. They know their way around a grill.


The best dads have a Hutch Cheer shirt.

And, blessings of all blessings, we were able to eat outside!


Goodbye, Hutch. I love you.

Philly, I look forward to loving you, too.

Quinoa with roasted vegetables and balsamic vinaigrette
(Serves six as a side and makes tasty leftovers)

3/4 c. quinoa
1 yellow summer squash, sliced and quartered
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 handfuls of spinach, ripped into bite-sized leaves
1 tomato, chopped and seeded
Feta cheese

Dressing:
3 T. balsamic vinegar
1 T. red wine vinegar
1 t. yellow mustard
1/4 t. lemon juice
1 clove garlic, peeled
1/8 dried basil or 5 leaves fresh basil
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 c. olive oil

Bring 1 1/2 c. water to a boil. Rinse quinoa until the water runs almost clear, add to water, cover and reduce heat, simmer for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let it cool.

Season the squash, pepper and onion with salt and pepper, toss with a bit of olive oil and roast at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through. Let it cool on the roasting pan. 

Blend the first seven dressing ingredients, then slowly add olive oil with blender running.

When the quinoa and vegetables have cooled, combine them in a large bowl with spinach and tomato. Just before serving, stir in the dressing and feta. 

Eat outside.




With love.

2 comments:

  1. Favorite part: dads cheer shirt. LOVE it. good guy ;)

    also, so excited about that dressing. I will definitely go here when I want to make my own. I've been wanting to do that soon so this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I'm always looking for different ways to cook with quinoa! I made your noodles the other day and they were delicious! Good luck with the move and your new adventure! Oh, and good luck with the hurricane!

    ReplyDelete