Monday, September 5, 2011

Commuter

There is a reason I haven't posted in a few days. It's not for lack of time or fodder; I have plenty of those. It's because of this: 


This spectacular sangria-colored Jamis Coda Femme is my new vehicle and most prized possession. I do not have a car here (ever since that fateful day in July -- may the Mazda rest in peace) and I don't want to rely on Kelsey's car all the time, so I will instead rely on this little commuter to get me to work, Trader Joe's, church and virtually anywhere in this big, bike-friendly city. No limits!

There also are some lovely riding trails easily accessible from our house.

I have traded the Kansas River...

Photo credit Cody Edwards via Google Images.
I guess I never took the time to photograph my beloved levee trail.
...for the Schuylkill River. 



It's no wheat field, but I suppose it will do. Full disclosure: I love it and have spent a lot of time there already. People here sure don't smile at each other as often as they do in Kansas, and nowhere is that more apparent than on this trail. I am trying to start the movement, but I can't take it personally when it is not reciprocated. Some runners look like they couldn't smile through the pain if they tried.

I did get a warm welcome from the greater biking community. I was fortunate enough last night to happen upon a parade of naked cyclists (there are no photos on this link), who were making their way through downtown. I was stopped, waiting for the group to pass and enjoying their jubilant liberation. A few friendly riders invited me to join, which was a tempting offer -- varying levels of modesty were welcome, but I had to decline this time. I would have been late for church. 

In Lawrence I rode a 10-year-old mountain bike and a 40-year-old cruiser, and it is really fun to have a bike that rides well and fits me well. Plus, it is really cute. That matters! Ken and Jim helped a lot to narrow down my options. It's nice to have cyclists around to point out things like gear shifters, metal options and weight. Since Jim was in town, he was able to give this little Coda his approval.


I have begun to thoughtfully and prayerfully seek out job opportunities. I think I am in this city for a reason, and I am trying to keep my eyes open for it. I found my perfect bike, so now everything else can fall into place.


To all of you who have work or school to take a break from, happy Labor Day!


With love.

No comments:

Post a Comment