Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Garbanzos Marinados

I always thought 'chickpea' sounded much daintier than 'garbanzo' so I am going to stop pretending to have a fancy tapas menu like Bar Ferdinand, where we discovered this delight. Mom and Dad treated us to tapas and sangria at the hip restaurant that features decor inspired in the most handsome, modern way by the children's book Ferdinand the Bull. Literature + tapas = a great dining experience.

When they brought the garbanzos marinados out, Mom jotted down the components so I could recreate it. It was delicious -- another salty, vinegary treat. Perhaps once the weather changes, I will stop craving these picnicky foods. But for now, I will enjoy some marinated chickpeas.


The poor tuna got left out of the ingredient photo, but I didn't forget it when it mattered. Please imagine that Kelsey is holding a large fish in the background.


Although the marinade plays a big role (it's in the name!), the red wine/olive oil is subtle enough to highlight the other flavors. I did stray from the Bar Ferdinand version, partly because I forgot to grab Mom's list, but I was pleased with how mine turned out.

I didn't miss the anchovy, but I wish I would have remembered the zucchini. I substituted really thin julienne carrots, sliced with a peeler this time. Shortly after I took this photo, I began eating carrot peels so I didn't have to chop as many. That was the process that took the most time. This recipe is great.


Grab a bowl with a lid (Tupperware) and whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, parsley, salt and pepper. Add the vegetables and rinsed chickpeas, and toss to coat.


Refrigerate for four hours, shaking the Tupperware every once in awhile. Then stir in the tuna and serve the marinated goodness atop baby spinach. Use another of the myriad Tupperware options to tote your picnicky meal to an actual picnic. These are two of my new roommates! Kelsey and I ate with them before a church book study on Flannery O'Connor. Literature + church = a great church experience.


Marinated Chickpeas
Serves 3-4

1 can chickpeas (or garbanzos)
2 carrots, julienned
1-2 T. red onion, minced
8 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 can of tuna
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 T. red wine vinegar
1/4 c. olive oil
1 t. dried parsley
Salt and pepper
Spinach for serving

Whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper. Toss in the rinsed chickpeas and vegetables; refrigerate for four hours, shaking occasionally. Just before serving, stir in the tuna. Eat with fresh spinach.



With love.

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! I'm glad I took notes because I never would have remembered (maybe because of the Sangria?)...I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. seth would love that you studied flannery o'connor - she's his favorite (next to me of course!) love you whit!!

    also, i'm making homemade salsa today a la westminster woods! wish you were here to taste test it for me!!

    ReplyDelete