Tuesday, September 20, 2011

baked zucchini fries

When we were young, Kelsey and I called our baby sister tons of weird nicknames, including the most affectionate 'Cinder-Lindsey.' This one put us in the mean, bossy big sister roles and Linds was left to helplessly do our bidding in the sympathetic Cinderella role. We thought it was clever, Lindsey hated it, and that nickname became the quickest way to push her buttons. Sorry, Linny. I love you. I'm glad we can all laugh about it now.

If you'll recall this image... Baby sister was doomed from the start.


Thankfully Cinder-Lindsey endured with grace enough to email this delicious recipe (via Two Peas & Their Pod) as a thoughtful housewarming gift. She knows me well.


Now, if you'll bear with me, there is another story about the strange coincidences that have kept me from making this dish until now, three-plus weeks into this warm house. Two weeks ago I purchased a big, beautiful zucchini, and while it waited in the fridge to be turned into fries, the power went out to our oven. It took Steve the electrician about a week to come over (a huge bike race blockade kept him away one day...strange! I know.). Steve fiddled with some wires and got the outlet working again, but by that time, the zuke had gone bad. I went to Trader Joe's yesterday to get a new one and they were all out. Strange! I know. (Actually not really, because it's the end of zucchini season.) Whole Foods pulled through in the clutch, though, and to show my appreciation, I spent $5.38 on three of the elusive squashes. The trials I go through for good food! 

Barring trips to multiple markets, the ingredients are quite simple. Zucchini, egg whites, bread crumbs/parmesan, spices (including salt and pepper pandas -- my housewarming gift to Kelsey!). 


The move left me with less spice organization, but I am learning to make it work.

After
Before

My disclaimer on this recipe is do not make it if you are in a rush. It is worth every minute, but it will take you several. It is the perfect project for a rainy afternoon like this one. 

Start by chopping those coveted zukes into french fries.


Dip each lovely bit into frothy egg whites then roll it in cheesy bread crumbs (which are really the shining star of this recipe...the zucchini are merely a vehicle).

Line them up strategically on a cooking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Flip them with a spatula if you are more dextrous than I, or grab and flip the hot little pieces quickly enough not to burn your fingertips. Bake for 8 minutes more, or until golden.


The original recipe recommends marinara sauce for dipping. I recently purchased a jar of TJ's salsa that I've been eating at any opportunity (as salad dressing on spinach mostly). It tasted pretty great on these fries too.


I wish you could have been here, Beezers, but I did manage to enjoy the zucchini fries very much. Come visit. I'll make you some. I'd do all this work for you in a heartbeat. Role reversal.

Baked Zucchini Fries
Barely adapted from Two Peas & Their Pod

2-3 medium zucchini, sliced into skinny sticks
2 large egg whites, beaten
1/2 c. bread crumbs (I used panko)
2 T. grated parmesan
1/4 dried basil
Pinch of dried oregano (or substitute Italian seasoning)
1/4 t. garlic powder
Salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.

In a small bowl, beat egg whites with a fork until frothy.

Put the breadcrumbs, seasonings and parmesan on a plate; mix well.

Dip the zucchini sticks in the egg whites and then into the bread crumb mixture, making sure all sides get coated well. Place the sticks on the baking sheet.

Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and a little crispy. I turned over the fries halfway through. Serve warm with marinara sauce (or salsa!). 


With love.

1 comment:

  1. you make reading about zucchini thoroughly enjoyable... i feel like that is saying something.

    ReplyDelete