Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Home sweet home


When I talk about how much I like living in Philadelphia, I am not being overly optimistic or kind to this city. I truly enjoy this adventure I am having here. When I stop and think about it, I am the midst of a dream life right now. I don't want to forget that. 

With that said, I know this is temporary. I feel fully positive that I am supposed to be in Philly right now, and also fully positive that I will not live here forever. And that great blessing of contentment helps me enjoy the experience, even when I'm in the throes of post-trip-home homesickness.


I wrote about the idea of home way back when I was only beginning to process leaving Kansas, and I have continued to learn what home looks like. I can move 1,200 miles away and settle into a new city and make beautiful new friends, but the friends (and my incredible family) in Kansas are irreplaceable. That is home, and I am meant to be near it.


Of course I always have that in mind, but I am not always homesick (definitely God's goodness to me and possibly some defense mechanism). But gosh. It's hard to be reminded of home and then have it taken away so quickly. My friends and family love me so well (and I love them so much) that my heart was near bursting the whole time I was in Lawrence and Hutch. It reminded me of when I would visit Kid's Club after I had gone to college and the kids would knock me over with their hugs. And I was so excited to see them. The reunion almost makes it worth having to say goodbye.

And while I'm being a bit egomaniacal: the River to Well team put on an incredible gallery show at Signs of Life. Probably the best one yet. If you entered a photo or purchased a photo or came to the show (especially if you came just to see me) -- thank you

You can see the stunning winners online, and if you'll be in Denver (this Friday!) or Houston (Nov. 19!), please consider seeing the show in person.



After eating my way through Lawrence and trying to hug as many people as possible, Ken drove us both to Hutch for pork chops, grandparent loving and FPC. One hour in Newton with Charlie and 19 hours with my parents. That was icing on the home cake.

Braum's frozen yogurt eased the pain of having to say goodbye again.


Until Christmas!



With love.

1 comment:

  1. so. mad. at. my. phone.
    i miss you!
    and i love you!
    (and i'm a little jealous that God blessed you with the gift of not having homesick craziness like me....but i got something else ;)

    love you!!

    ReplyDelete