Monday, November 7, 2011

sweet potato black bean enchiladas + doing good


Two of the greatest and clearest blessings of this move are the churches I get to attend and the people I get to meet there. Every Sunday (unless I am traveling) I have nothing more pressing to do than go to two church services. If someone would have told my eight-year-old self that she would someday enjoy spending six hours every Sunday at church, she would have been incredulous. And then would have returned to the Little House on the Prairie that she brought to FPC to read during the sermon.

Not only do I love these churches -- Liberti Fairmount and Broad Street Ministry (pictured above) -- I want to give what I can to them. Over the years, some really inspiring people have taught me that giving comes in a lot more forms than money. Like time and talents. And food. And lately I have gotten some wonderful opportunities to cook for people.


Broad Street Ministry shares my philosophy that eating together is the best way to bond a community. They serve dinner every Sunday evening after the service to everyone there. A couple weeks ago, to celebrate completing a multi-million-dollar kitchen renovation, they held a huge early Thanksgiving dinner. Kelsey and I went to help the night before and cut 250+ slices of pie. They planned to feed 300 and ended up serving 586. It was like the fish and loaves. This church is doing amazing things and I love being a part of it.


Enter my humble enchiladas. The next week, one of the pastors asked if I'd like to cook dinner for a new small group that will discuss what it looks like to care for people we go to church with. I'll explain more when we figure out what that does look like. All I know is, when someone offers me an invitation like this, it is best if I say yes.


So I decided to make some experimental enchiladas for the people I hoped to befriend. I made some with sweet potatoes and some with chicken. By the grace of God, they turned out alright and I did make a few new friends. And my friends can bake. That is was a pumpkin carrot cake. Oh, yum.


I left the dinner party feeling pleasantly full of food and God's love only to find a note from the infamous Philly Parking Authority saying that I had been parked there too long and owed them money. This is why I ride a bike.


Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas
Makes 10

2-3 c. cooked sweet potatoes, cubed then smashed
1 can (4 oz.) green chilies
1/2 t. chili powder
1/2 t. curry powder (or cumin)
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
Juice of one large lime
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
10 whole wheat tortillas
1 can (15 oz.) red or green enchilada sauce
Shredded pepper jack cheese

Preheat oven to 350 and find a baking dish to fit 10 enchiladas.

Combine the rinsed black beans with minced garlic, lime juice and a bit of salt and pepper. Toss to coat and set aside.

Peel, cube and cook the sweet potatoes (I ended up boiling them, but slightly roasting them would be good, if you have time). Smash the potatoes a little and combine with green chilies and spices.

Coat the bottom of the baking dish with enchilada sauce. Do some quick visual division and spoon about 1/10 of the sweet potatoes and 1/10 of the black beans down the center of a tortilla. No need to be perfect...it usually works out. Place seam-side down in the saucy dish and repeat until all 10 are tucked in there. Pour sauce over the top and sprinkle with cheese. 

Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is melted and the enchiladas are heated through.

Serve with a loving heart. It feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment