Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A visitor! A job!

whew. It has been a week.

Last Tuesday, as I drove an unintentionally circuitous route home from Target, I got a call from Rybread that they wanted to interview me for a position. I celebrated this bit of positive job search feedback as I cleaned the kitchen and chatted with Laura. Next thing I knew, a charming Kansas boy was standing outside of my house...a day and a half early! The first words out of my mouth were 'I'm not prepared for you.' Then I hugged him.


So Ken was here to celebrate with me the next day when I clinched the cafe job. But before I talk about the celebration, I need to talk about this job. It is a straight-up blessing. I get to ride my bike to work and make great sandwiches and talk to people all day. And even though it's not the nonprofit writing job I idealized, I have gained some great perspective during this search. I've realized that perhaps God did not uproot me and take me across the country to be employed by some great work, and I am quite content realizing that He might simply want to bring these new people and experiences into my life. I love volunteering with Broad Street Ministry and I truly adore this little cafe, and I will shine my light there as best I can. Look us up when you're in the area. I'd love to feed you.

Now on to the celebration. I wanted to show Ken the beauty of my new home, so my itinerary ideas essentially consisted of a lot of good food, the art museum, two church services and a bike ride.


We also took a quick trip to New York to see the sights and eat the food there, which we managed to do and get caught in the rain and abandoned by every cab driver. It was perfect.


Ken also put fenders on my bike and took engagement photos for Meg and Anthony while he was here. What a guy.



I was sad to see him leave (not just because I was completely spoiled), but the timing worked nicely with Kelsey returning from her long vacation. Plus, I had a sandwich menu to memorize and a first workday to look forward to. whew. Life is great.


With love.

7 comments:

  1. congrats whit! i would most definitely want you making me a sandwich. they are never going to want to let you go. sounds like you and ken had a great time. miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness gracious! I. Love. It. I love this post. I love it all. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. Love. It.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so great to hear all these things! we are long overdue on a phone date. soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay!!! so happy for you whit! also, i bought the stuff to make peanut butter banana granola today - you live on in OP KS!! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! So glad to hear good news. I'm loving keeping up with you through your lovely blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. dude. this fills my HEART! Ah, i love it. Or should I say, "Oh, I love that."

    :-)

    ReplyDelete