Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Squash Blog

I considered changing the URL to mysquashbeloved. The title could read, 'Oh, I love squash.' When I make a habit of publishing to the Internet most of the noteworthy meals I eat, these trends become pretty clear. But this is real life. And I do love squash.

Where was I?

Here is a tasty idea: put squash on pizza.


Make/purchase/steal (don't steal) some pizza dough. We used that awesome garlic herb variation from Trader Joe's. 

Roast an acorn squash or whatever you have. Acorns are just the cutest. This one had yellow skin...please don't think I went to all the trouble to take that skin off. 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes (it will cook further on the pizza).


Caramelize an onion. My method involves sauteing it in olive oil until it gets soft then coating it with balsamic vinegar while it's still on the heat. Mmm.


Layer these individually significant components with mozzarella cheese. Bake the pizza according to the directions on the dough -- which may actually recommend that you bake the dough for awhile before putting the toppings on. Check that.

This was an extra special occasion because all five roommates were in the house at the same time. The squash pizza was just part of our celebratory feast.

Laura crafted another beautiful veggie pizza because obviously one is not enough for five grown women.


Megan and Melanie tossed a salad, and Mel refused to be photographed.


Kelsey ate roasted squash seeds.


Typical middle child.

As most of the dishes I share here, this one is totally adjustable. Pizza, by nature, is like that. The caramelized onions are a great touch with the squash, but you could include any vegetables, meat or cheese you like. I have made this before and also added spinach and feta (two other very predictable staples of mine). Add your own staples. Bottom line: squash on pizza -- try it. You'll like it.




With love.

No comments:

Post a Comment