Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Wedding bliss and macaroni



Have I told you I love weddings? Great! Moving on...

Sarah and Tyler are precious friends. They love me well, have taken great care of me and will take great care of each other. I cannot think of Beth Moore or Kristen Wiig without thinking of Sarah. I am so excited to see what the next years have for these two.

Kelsey and I got to spend quality time with the bride and her maids before the wedding. And the talented Rusty Wright took photos. Please take a look at his work...he captured the day splendidly.





The wedding was beautiful and spiritual and personal. And emotional. Sarah's grandfather performed the ceremony, need I say more.



It also helped that Tyler brewed his own beer for the reception and there were wonderful people in attendance.





So thankful for this friend....


Then Sarah and Tyler left for Santa Barbara and I got to spend the rest of the weekend with my sisters! On Saturday, Kels had the brilliant idea to make Grandma Jane's homemade macaroni and cheese.

Doesn't she look like Aunt KK in this photo?
Grandma made this dish for us all the time growing up. It is one of the many reasons I loved going to Grandma and Grandpa's house -- along with golf cart rides and the freezing cold neighborhood pool and the dress-up clothes. I don't seem to have any of the more recent golf cart photos that I know are out there, but I found a couple gems on my computer from those days.

Golf outing, pre-macaroni-eating years.
Definitely had macaroni this day.
And now look at us! We're making the mac and cheese ourselves. Time sure does fly.


Grandma uses no recipe, of course, but I had watched her and helped stir so often that I got the feel for it. Velveeta is the prime ingredient in this one.


It was just as delicious as I remember. Right up there with Spaghettios and cottage cheese.

Katelyn stayed too and got a taste of tradition.
Speaking of nostalgia, I am down to 10 more days in Lawrence. And I intend to soak it up.

Grandma Jane's Macaroni and Cheese

12 oz. rotini
3 T. butter
3 T. flour
1 c. milk
1 lb. Velveeta, cut into pieces
Salt and pepper to taste

Boil pasta until al dente, drain and set aside. Now the roux! Melt butter in a deep pot over medium heat, then whisk in the flour. Add the milk a little at a time, whisking continuously until the mixture thickens. Season with salt and pepper. Add Velveeta a little at a time, stirring continuously. Toss in the cooked pasta and stir carefully to combine. Should serve five full-grown people.




With love.

5 comments:

  1. nom nom nom! i would love to try gma jane's mac and cheese! also, 10 DAYS!!???! that is far too few!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey's hair looks adorable, just for the record. And obviously you have a mac 'n cheese recipe you love, but it made me think of this one I saw the other day. I've been wanting to try it, but haven't gotten around to it. Maybe you would like it as well?

    http://ourminnesotafamily.blogspot.com/2011/07/mac-and-cheese.html

    Love you. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that old picture. You were born to be a golfer! I bet dad got a kick out of putting that putter on you. Haha!! Great post.
    Ashley- Thank you! That's what happens when you never get a haircut :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm partial to the fifth picture...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Gma's mac n cheese!! Now I've got a craving. Too bad they don't have Velveeta here. I just might have to invent something...

    ReplyDelete