Sunday, July 10, 2011

China: the people

When I first went to Westminster Woods as a scared third grader, little did I know that years later I would: a) be able to leave home without getting homesick and b) fly across the world to see my camp friends. I met Leslie that first summer and eventually worked with her as counselors during college. That camp is where I also met Nate and his bride, Sam. The value of those friendships is hard to define, but I will say I am thankful they are in my life. And thankful for the invitation to their home abroad.

Planning this trip and getting on the plane was a piece of cake knowing that they would pick me up at the Beijing airport. It was easy to spot them in the crowds there. And they treated me to ice cream at the KFC....that made for a smooth transition.



On our cab ride to the hostel, they gave me the itinerary. First thing: 7 a.m. pick-up with the van that would take us to the Great Wall. My jetlag came in handy that time, since it would feel like evening for me. Plus, I was pumped to be there. I had plenty of energy for our 3.5-hour hike. And I was glad Leslie and I got a photo on the chairlift before I started sweating too bad.


Of course it was great to see my friends, but I also was really excited to meet the people who had grown up in this different culture. (And take a few sneaky photos of those precious ones who had just begun their lives there...)



This adorable child, we learned, had performed drums on a Chinese variety show that week.
Nate enjoyed seeing the video and sharing drummer banter on the train from Beijing to Baoding.
In Baoding, I was fully immersed in the lives of foreign teachers. Nate, Sam and Leslie had meals and gatherings lined up for the next week so they could say a proper goodbye to their students. I was honored to join, and every student (mostly English majors, so it was easy to communicate) was interested in what I did and how I liked China and if I was married. I felt so loved. 



Nate had taught a group of boys how to play American football and baseball. The last game took place on a beautiful morning, and my team lost badly, but it was great to see how much they loved the sport and I couldn't get over how they all yell, "Wow!" every time someone gets a hit.


This also was my first taste of the Chinese students' true love of taking pictures (not just a stereotype). We spent an hour after the game ended taking and posing for photos and trying to leave. The first Mandarin phrase I learned was, "yi, er, san" (one, two three) and a word that sounds like, "Chedza!" (translates to eggplant) that they say like our "Cheese!" When the five of us Westerners lined up for a post-baseball photo, this was our view: 


Staying with Leslie at the Financial College was a completely different experience. The Electrical College campus, where Nate and Sam teach, is in the center of Baoding and Leslie's is on the outskirts of the city. Her students didn't seem to be as comfortable with English, but they were just as charming. As were her fellow teachers.


Two of their students cooked dinner for us one night -- a feast featuring Peking Duck and Baoding bread, which was quite a treat. 


Getting to know these students was such a great part of my trip. They were so friendly and interesting and hilarious. One night we played telephone pictionary (which happens to be my favorite game), and Gao Shwan (shoot, I don't know how to spell it!) found my borrowed neck pillow (thanks, Susan!) and wore it like a collar, prompting Nate to dub him Shwanspeare.

Shwanspeare photo shoot
Giving gifts is a big custom, so students would come to the apartment all the time to say farewell and give their teacher something to remember them by. I even started getting gifts after awhile. I know Nate and Sam had some separation anxiety leaving their friends, and I'm sure the ones they left in China feel it too.


Getting to know this small community of college students gave me a great affection for the people I passed but did not talk to. I know their lives have been very different than mine, and I always wonder what their story is. 


Making jiaozi (dumplings)



When Sam took me to her favorite restaurant, they seated us in a private room upstairs and made sure it was cool enough. That sweet man rigged up an extra fan while a very powerful woman barked orders at him in Chinese. After the waitress (fu yuan) took our order, she came back up to ask if we could be friends. Sam did say that this happens sometimes, but I was really touched. I told her I would only be there another few days, and she seemed happy enough just to take a photo together.


And I would be remiss if I did not give credit to the blessed soul who picked us up at 3 a.m. to drive us the two hours to the Beijing airport.


These lovely people made the unusual setting a lot more comfortable.


With love.

1 comment:

  1. Whit it sounds like you had such a great time. I can't wait to see you on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete