Thursday, July 14, 2011

Spontaneity

I have some more China photos to share, but life has continued on after my trip and I don't want to lose sight of all the present things. Time goes fast. Two weeks from now I will be packing my Lawrence home into boxes.... But let's cross that weepy bridge when we come to it. 

For now I'd like to talk about planning.

I have always loved calendars. It brings me great joy to add something to a calendar, so I can see what is coming and look forward to things. The organizational side of me relishes fitting in meals and gatherings and laying out a perfectly planned week. 

I still love those things, but this year has taught me a lot about maintaining joy when things don't go as I planned them. My summer of spontaneity was a tribute to this newfound freedom to live and let live. It is preparation for my uncertain future in Philly, where I trust things will fall into place concerning employment and friends. 

Last week, a subtle urge intensified and within hours I had made an appointment to cut 10 inches off my hair. No regrets about that spontaneous move.


Then I rallied my friends for a last-minute breakfast-for-dinner party (hence the orange juice). We have to get as many of those in as we can.


On Saturday morning, I headed south for a dear friend's wedding at Westminster Woods. I had been planning for and looking forward to this wedding since they got engaged in March. On that beautiful drive, something happened that changed the plans that day. 

It caused this...


And (thankfully) these...

Words cannot describe how delicious...and how much I love my friends.
It was not the kind of spontaneity I had in mind. But I was well taken care of and I know God's ultimate plan for me will not be thwarted...thank you, Pastor Godsey, for that comforting reassurance.

Perhaps I'll write more about the incident after I put some distance between us.

For now, I will bask in the sunshine that is the love of Sarah and Tyler. These two hilarious, compassionate, loving people are getting married tomorrow. All is right in the world, and I am blessed to be a witness. (God willing.)




With love.

No comments:

Post a Comment