Thursday, July 5, 2012

A Wedding with Fireflies

Earlier this summer, before I had to start sleeping with a box fan, we drove six hours across Pennsylvania to see our friend Ben marry his dear Canadian bride. It was the dreamy kind of wedding that I might read about on a blog and wish I could attend. So, in my duty to bear witness to these beautiful God-ordained experiences, here I blog about it.


Ben worked with Kelsey her first summer at CSM, and his vagabond spirit has allowed me to get to know him. We really bonded when he slept on our couch for a week this spring -- that's when he invited me to his wedding.


For me, it was icing on the cake that we got to leave the city and see them wed in a forest. The bride, groom and their wedding party camped on these festival grounds for a week creating their oasis. 


I could go on about the perfect weather and how refreshing it was to be in nature for 24 hours, but I must address the stunning, barefoot, Jesus-filled ceremony. It completely reflected Ben and Naomi's hearts for each other and for God. The Episcopalian priest beautifully melded ritual and personal, and charged that their marriage might be a beacon of Light in a broken world. Amen.


The celebration that followed was as comfortable and sweet as their ceremony. Friends and family wasted no time pouring the wine (into Mason jars) and starting the grill.




Naomi served cupcakes baked by a bridesmaid.


We pitched our sleeping arrangements.


Then rejoined the party to dance to (with) a delightful Canadian folk band and eat s'mores around a bonfire. We saw fireflies for the first and only time this summer (which meant an awful lot to the Kansas girl who wept at the sound of cicadas).


It struck me that I would not have experienced this had I not moved here. There were a lot of reasons for that move out of my comfort zone, but I had not anticipated such wonderful friends. Let alone expect to share these major life moments with them. This post is filled with adjectives because blessed is an understatement.


God willing, I will still be a witness to Ben and Naomi's Light 60 years from now.


P.S. No pressure, Kels and Jim.




With love.

No comments:

Post a Comment