Tuesday, May 29, 2012

gahdnin'

It officially is the season for weddings and water ice and box fans and thunderstorms and sunshine and green. Praise the Lamb we have made it out of that brutal winter to experience all of this beautiful, sweaty newness. (If I sound a bit disgruntled, it's because it is stinkin' hot here. Spring is a fickle mistress.)

But one can truly rejoice when she lives with a green-thumbed sister. Where I turned my passions, time, energy and blog reader toward food, Kelsey turned hers toward plants. And I get to be a witness.


This is the first in a miniseries about our urban farm.

Exhibit A: The patio in early spring, when the resilient weeds and vines reigned supreme.


This is the point when I insist that I have helped Kelsey a little bit, gotten my hands dirty enough to claim participation, but I give all credit to her as Master Gardener of Brewerytown.

Day 1: We took an outing to a super-hip nursery for some starters -- cucumbers, yellow squash, tomatoes, sweet basil, bell peppers, romaine lettuce. 


And we weeded.


And we marveled that the strawberries and mint from last summer were surviving and thriving, despite their environment. (Is it a wonder why mice favor our area...)



Kelsey started the new plants inside until the overnight temperatures were not so frosty. And a couple Saturdays later, we transplanted.





She added a bit of fairy dust (coffee grounds).



And as the vine threatens to encase the patio, these babies are shooting up. I'll update on the little miracles again soon.


With love.

3 comments:

  1. Miniseries!!! This is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I'll make a cameo in the miniseries come July!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim, I knew you would like this one. Yes, you will most certainly make a future garden post cameo...especially if it involves the grill. See you soon, brother!

    ReplyDelete