Friday, February 3, 2012

Traditions (and salted dark chocolate cookies)

One thing this move has helped me do is loosen my angsty grip on long-standing traditions. I usually blame birth-order tendencies for my nostalgia (although when I googled it just now I couldn't find anything to back up that theory). As the oldest child, I tend to be the most stubborn about letting go of family traditions, and my younger sisters tend to ridicule me for it. 

I mean, is there anything so wrong with occasionally enjoying hours of home videos? I think not.

I will say I'm very glad I got to have a birthday dinner with my fam. And even though I know my mom would have made an angel food cake if I had requested it, I was perfectly content exchanging that tradition for red wine and Tellers chocolate torte.

And the nostalgic part of me was completely smitten with the box of Life cereal that arrived yesterday via UPS. Some traditions are definitely worth holding on to, and I'm so glad my bff agrees.

Which brings me to a new tradition: these salted dark chocolate cookies.


My birthday last year was marked by a huge Kansas blizzard that closed KU's campus for two days. Since I worked on campus, I was blessed by the snow days too. My roommates and I had nothing to do but go sledding and bake cookies and drink coffee all day. 

These cookies are perfect for snow days because they require things you probably have already. Pretty bowls, semi-sweet chocolate, sea salt. 


And they're pretty perfect for no-snow days too (praise the Lamb for no-snow days).


After kicking off my birthday week with a few blissful days in Lawrence, I returned to our cozy Philly kitchen to melt some butter and chocolate chips.


My birthday this year was marked by a four-course Israeli lunch and margaritas at dinner. So, for being far from home, I fared pretty well (pun intended). By moving out here and keeping one foot in Kansas, I strategically doubled the amount of love that I received this week.


These cookies are an homage to my dear old friends (two of whom are back in their European homes) and a gift of gratitude to my new ones.


Mine look nothing like when the Kitchenist made them. (Why does that always happen when I bake? Is it because I used baking soda instead of powder? I think I'll stick to squash.) Anyway, they were delicious. And it's tradition.


Salted Dark Chocolate Cookies
From The Kitchenist
Makes 12 (unless you double it, which is always a good idea)

4 oz. semisweet chocolate
2 T. unsalted butter
1/2 c. flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. fine salt
1 egg
1/3 c. lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1/3 c. toffee bits (I didn't have these this time, but definitely recommend them)
A few pinches of sea salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Melt chocolate and butter together, either on the stove or in the microwave.

In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In yet another bowl, beat the egg, sugar and vanilla until frothy. Add the melted chocolate mixture and beat until combined. Stir in the flour mixture to create a thick batter and add the toffee bits if you have them.

Drop heaping tablespoons of batter onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and sprinkle sea salt over the top of each cookie. Bake for 12-15 minutes, then cool on a wire rack. If you live with Europeans, enjoy these at tea time.



With love.

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your birthday was lovely :). And these cookies sound AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah: I CAN"T WAIT TO MAKE THESE!!!! :):):)

    Tyler: Why does the kitchenist call them "dark" chocolate cookies when you use semi-sweet chips? Shouldn't we use dark chips?

    ReplyDelete