Wednesday, January 4, 2012

spinach and feta hummus

I can't say that I love flying home for Christmas, but in this case it certainly beat driving for 22 hours. And all of those pesky delays and re-routes were worth it. For this: 


And this:


The opportunity to hug and cook with my family. And eat fancy meals together in sweatshirts (sometimes matching pajamas). Oh, man. I loved it.

The traditional fudge and Chex mix and clam chowder were all there. Grandma brought over her amazing cinnamon rolls. We ate well. So well that I suddenly feel weird about posting the recipe for hummus, like I'm pulling a fast one on you and showing something that's good for you instead of some decadent Christmasy dessert. But because it's January 4, 2012, let's say that this is the New Years eat-better recipe.

I made this dip for a post-Christmas gathering of lots of wonderful people who I grew up knowing and have come to love and appreciate so much. We have some of the kindest, wisest, funniest family friends. They are a gift and worth more even than this delicious hummus. 

I must admit, however, that although I think this dip is awesome, the real reason I chose it is that it looked so stinkin' cute (and Christmasy!) in this adorable bowl that my mom gave me for Valentine's Day. 


Which goes to show that this hummus is great anytime of the year. With that segue, I'll now show you how I made it.


Start with the basic hummus characters: chick peas, tahini, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice. Then add two of the most wonderful, healthful foods to grace God's green earth: spinach and feta cheese.

Here is what I look like when I am home for Christmas. Kind of like a teenage boy in Rybread gear.


Drain the chick peas and remove those spinach stems. Pulse together in a large food processor with garlic, tahini, olive oil and lemon juice. I find it easier to combine half the chick peas with half the spinach, then add the rest. It will probably be super thick, so feel free to add as much water as you need (a little at a time) to get it to your preferred consistency.


I love this tradition too. Lindsey watching from the other side of the bar. Mom was making Chex mix, which held her attention until the feta came out, and she scooted closer to me. I don't blame her.



Add the feta that your sister doesn't eat and the red pepper flakes and process everything until smooth. You may also add salt at this point, but I reckoned that the feta and pita chips would lend enough. Transfer to a cute little bowl and store it in the fridge until you need it. Feel great about adding some tasty vitamin K to your new year.

Spinach and Feta Hummus

2 15-oz. cans chick peas, drained and rinsed
3 handfuls fresh spinach, most stems removed
6-8 oz. feta cheese
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1/3 c. olive oil
3 T. lemon juice
3 T. tahini
1 T. red pepper flakes
Salt to taste

Pulse the chick peas, spinach, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and tahini until smooth. Add feta, red pepper flakes, salt and water (one tablespoon at a time, if needed). Process until smooth. Eat with pita chips, vegetables, a sandwich or a spoon.

---

Now if you'll excuse me, Kelsey and I must prepare for a guest so lovely, she makes us all look bad. Welcome to Philly, Mrs. Hall.




With love.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Whitney! Guess what? I liked the Polka dot bowls that I bought you so much, that I bought some for myself! So that bowl that we used is actually mine :). I just had some of this hummus for lunch today and it still tastes great! I'm glad we had leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm that hummus sounds delicious! And that last picture totally creeps me out. I love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! she makes us all look bad...that picture..so funny. Have phun in Philly phriends!!

    ReplyDelete