Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Thanksgiving sweet potatoes in December

A few weeks ago, I went to Europe. But before that, Kelsey and I were invited to a Thanksgiving dinner hosted by our Bible study leaders. The dinner was to take place the Saturday I returned to the States, and I RSVP'd enthusiastically that Kelsey and I would contribute a sweet potato dish. I delighted in knowing I would return from my trip to such a comforting American tradition. (Especially because I was going to miss my family's celebration -- wah!)

Seizing the opportunity to impress our fellow Bible studiers with a unique dish, I sent Kels the link to this Smitten Kitchen recipe that had caught my eye. While anxiously awaiting my arrival home, she picked up the ingredients: sweet potatoes, craisins, pecans, feta. I would land at 4:30, get home in time to help create a beautiful sweet potato dish and take a nap and shower and show Kelsey my 400 vacation photos and get to the dinner party by 6:30. What really happened is that my flight was delayed 90 minutes, so Kels and I grabbed a bottle of wine on the way home from the airport, I forewent the shower and we booked it to the party without the potatoes.


Now flash forward two weeks. Thanksgiving came and went, Ken came and went, and the sweet potatoes aged in our pantry. But after an eventful fortnight, we found time to make that long-anticipated dish. And we added quinoa.


These details are all important because they lead to two conclusions: some of the key ingredients were past their prime by the time we ate them, and the meal was still delicious. This practice sets up very high expectations for the next time we prepare this dish.


I also realized during the preparation of this meal how little I pay attention to detail in the kitchen. Things usually turn out pretty alright, if I do say so myself, but with Kelsey hovering as self-proclaimed "Quality Control," one notices such details as boiling a bit more water than needed to cook quinoa or taking the potatoes out of the oven before they are fork-tender. And I'll note that Quality Control turned a blind eye and, in fact, enjoyed the old potatoes, floppy celery and aged feta just as much as I did.



Plus, I have more important things to attend to. Like embroidering a pendant for the Rybread secret Santa gift exchange this weekend. I'll let you know how that turns out. Maybe.

Sweet potatoes with craisins, pecans and feta
Inspired by Smitten Kitchen

3 sweet potatoes, washed and cut into bite-sized pieces
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 handful of pecans
1 handful of craisins
2 oz. feta cheese
1 c. quinoa, rinsed
1/2 t. dijon mustard
2 t. red wine vinegar
2 T. olive oil
1 pinch dried parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Lightly coat the sweet potato pieces with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

Meanwhile, boil 2 cups of water (or don't measure it, if you don't feel like it) and add rinsed quinoa. Simmer for 12ish minutes, or until fluffy, and drain off any water that's left. 

Meanwhile meanwhile, whisk together the dijon, vinegar, oil and spices.

Stir the dressing into the quinoa, then add the celery, craisins and pecans. Toss that lovely mess with the sweet potatoes and feta.

Serve as a side at Thanksgiving or eat it as a small supper two weeks later.





With love.

No comments:

Post a Comment