Saturday, June 18, 2011

A new page in your book just flipped!

I read that text message from Lindsay as I pulled out of my parking spot (#137) for the last time and got all teary. It may have helped to have "Dog Days Are Over" blaring, but I did cherish the moment nonetheless. I have already established that change tends to be sad for me, and I had just cleaned out my desk and reluctantly said "see you soon" to the people I had spent the most time with over the past three years. I definitely grew to love them and appreciate my first real job all the more because of them.

To show my appreciation the way I know best, I made them my favorite cookies. Banana. Oatmeal. Chocolate chip.


There is much to say about the wonders of these cookies. The original recipe is vegan-friendly, so there are no eggs (the banana acts as an egg would). I do use butter when I make them, which vegans would not appreciate, but one beauty of these cookies is you can eat all the dough you want without the fear of consuming raw eggs (not that that has ever stopped me from eating dough). I will type the recipe at the bottom of this post. It is a keeper. Even my anti-banana colleagues enjoyed them. 


Just after my penultimate workday, Sarah called and asked if I'd like to have dinner. I loved the idea, of course, and it turned out to be a great last-minute dinner party when Nicole, Marianne and Marissa joined us (and brought wine).

I love this photo of Nicole. She looks like an elegant cartoon character.
Lovely caprese salad prepped by master chef Foil.


I assisted by cooking pasta and mixing in jarred pesto sauce (leftover from spinach pie!). And we feasted on the porch while the mosquitos feasted on us, and we even didn't care until later.


We liked this so much that I think we'll fill July with nights like this. As I write this, in the short time between finishing work and traveling to China, July stands as this idyllic month of endless free-time. I have established this as my own summer of spontaneity, and I hope there are myriad more spontaneous dinner parties. And fewer spontaneous bike accidents. Jim -- I know mine does not compare to yours, but I do think the bruise makes me look tough.


Knowing that Friday, June 17, would be a big day for me, Lindsay led the charge for a not-so-spontaneous but fully wonderful dinner in downtown Kansas City. Ethiopian is one cuisine that cannot be found in Lawrence, and this special occasion trip and meal made me feel very loved. And the food was delicious.


My dear cousin Hillary even was able to join us before she moves to Bolivia! It is pretty incredible how all of these wonderful people are sharing this time of change with me. In the next few months, we will all be in very different places (geographically or otherwise) than we are right now. That is a little sad, of course, but really exciting. So glad to know them. And so glad to have more excuses for international travel!


After dinner, we wandered around downtown KC for awhile, crashed a Joplin benefit event at Sarah and Tyler's wedding venue! and stopped at the swanky Cosentino's market to use the restroom. And so the Coloradan could escape our oppressive humidity for a bit.

So cool.
This was a beautiful night. 


It seems weird to say, but I am going to miss them a lot while I'm on the other side of the world. 


Speaking of China. I woke up on this, my first unemployed morning, feeling a little panicked about the fact that I am leaving the day after tomorrow. After strolling through the farmers' market, I vowed to bike around town getting last-minute items like 3-ounce sunscreen. An invitation from Nicole put her house first on my list of places to stop, and I spent a couple relaxing hours there while she baked me almond cake to take on my trip. What a sweet soul she is.


I did make it to Target and back in time to get everything laid out. It must have something to do with putting my last day of work behind me, but I suddenly feel very well prepared, mentally and physically, for China. And I am highly confident that I can fit everything I need into my beloved Osprey and my mama's great day pack. No checked bags here.

The pubs staff's sweet parting gift included some great crimson and blue luggage accessories.

I feel so prepared that I think I'm going to take a night ride with Lindsay. I plan to practice perfect bike safety this time.

Oops! Forgot the cookie recipe the first time. Thanks, Ash! Without further ado...

Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 c. margarine or butter, cold
1 c. tightly packed brown sugar
1 (scant) c. table sugar
ripe bananas, mashed
3 t. vanilla
2 T. water
2 c. all-purpose or wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder (stirred into the flour for guaranteed dispersion)
2 ½ c. rolled oats (quick oats work well)
2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

Beat together the butter and sugars. Add the banana and mix well, then add the vanilla, then the water. The water will try to separate; keep mixing with a figure-eight motion and add the dry ingredients, in the order above, bit by bit.

{Feel free to stop here and eat with a spoon. If you intend to bake it (which is a great option, too) I find that it's best to chill the dough for awhile before scooping it. If the butter is not very cold, the cookies will spread quickly in the oven and turn out flat.}

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 375 degrees on an ungreased cookie sheet. Let them set on the sheet for a moment after removing them from the oven, then cool on a wire rack. Store in an air-tight container. They taste even better after they sit overnight or in the fridge, which is great because this recipe makes a lot.


With love.

2 comments:

  1. Whitney have so much fun in China! I know you will. I hope that a visit to Kansas City is on your agenda for your month of summer :o). You could go to the zoo with Ryann and I!

    Oh and where is the cookie recipe? I NEED to try those :o). Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to agree with Ashley, Whit, I really hope in July you will find a night of spontaneity to come visit me and I'll take you out to dinner before you move to Philly! I love you!!

    ReplyDelete