Monday, June 6, 2011

Commence wedding season!

This weekend I drove 600 miles around Southeast Kansas. Two-lane highways, big slow trucks, 98 degrees.

I like to think drafting off of this guy improved my gas mileage.


I love this part of Kansas. Westminster Woods is there, so Kelsey and I got to surprise Lindsey while she was cleaning after the campers went home Friday. I am so proud of her. Plus, she is a great excuse to visit the Woods. I haven't officially been on staff in five years and it still feels like home.

Who wouldn't want this girl for a counselor?

Another great gem of Southern Kansas is Braum's, where we stopped three times in 24 hours. Best frozen yogurt, in my experience. And only $0.79.


The real purpose of the trip was to witness sweet Rachel marry her perfect complement, Jeff, in Ark City. It was beautiful and I got zero photos of the happy couple. I'm still getting the hang of this blogging thing.

On Friday night, as Kelsey rehearsed in the car the scripture Rachel asked her to read during the ceremony, she got a call from the bride-to-be. Kelsey would not be reading after all, because the silly pastor would not allow a woman to do it. His church had never let a woman read scripture and he did not want to offend his congregation. Needless to say, we were all a little offended and shocked...no one more than the bride herself. I do not intend to generalize small-town churches or get on a soap box about it, but if blogs aren't the place to make a statement about something, I don't know what is. There simply is nowhere in my realm of belief or understanding that says women cannot read aloud from the Bible. Amen. But on Saturday the pastor read the verses, Rach and Jeff entered the world of wedded bliss and we all had fun talking about this great act of discrimination...and then dancing the night away.

Sunday morning, Kelsey and I were treated to breakfast in Wichita with our parents and grandparents. Then I hopped back on Highway 400, bound for Chanute and a wedding shower in honor of my dear friend Emilie. 

Taken at Braum's, o'course.


I love that I get to celebrate this time of life with my friends. Here's to a great summer of unions and reunions.






With love.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah! Braum's! That was a family tradition of ours to stop there every road trip...the best. :)

    ReplyDelete