Sunday, May 29, 2011

Home

Another theme that inevitably will reveal itself here over the next couple months is that of leaving Lawrence. I tend to get very weepy and reflective in times of change. During my last semester of college, I started crying in my car when "Forever Young" came on the radio. There are more of those stories, but I will spare you. I am a nostalgic, emotional person. I think it has to do with being the oldest sibling, so there's really nothing I can do about it.


Family photo by Sarah Foil


First of all, I have an incredible family. It is a gift. They are my first and forever home, and I probably wouldn't need anyone else to survive happily. But I left Hutch seven years ago and God has continued to add really supportive, loving people to my life. The friends I have made since coming to Lawrence (including the fellow camp staff from other parts of Kansas) have seen me through some really wonderful and really challenging things. I have come to rely on them as much as my family. 


I'll use this out-of-focus shot to represent everyone.


But along with this deep sadness of leaving home is a wonderful anticipation that God can and will provide this again. He continues to teach me to trust him with that. Just last night I attended a bonfire graduation party with people I've known less than one month. And these people are interesting and loving and hilarious and faithful. It gives me such hope that once I get to Philly, I will find a support system there. I am not losing any part of the two homes that I know now -- I am only growing. 


And yes, I can say that that trust has given me perfect peace about all of this, but if I'm being honest, a very real source of comfort in this move is that she will be there to greet me. 






With love.

No comments:

Post a Comment